Non-European citizens can visit their unmarried partners in 10 EU countries, but some require proof

The European Union’s border restrictions because of the coronavirus pandemic has left binational unmarried couples in limbo, but more European countries are making exceptions so they no longer have to remain separated.

Since March, European countries have shut their borders to noncitizens, essentially separating citizens of the EU from their foreign partners.

Last week, the European Commission asked all 27 member countries to open their borders to such couples, and so far 10 have done so.

A social media campaign with the hashtags #LoveIsNotTourism and #LoveIsEssential, has been pushing other EU countries to act.

Requirements vary among 10 countries that have made the exception for binational unmarried couples, with some requiring documents that prove the existence of the relationship, and others are basically taking the couple’s word without supporting documentation. Some countries require a quarantine or a COVID-19 test.


Denmark allows entry for the spouse, live-in partner, fiancé or sweetheart of a Danish national resident, according to Danish police.

However, anyone who’s not a citizen of an EU country or the United Kingdom must present proof of a negative COVID-19 test taken no more than 72 hours before entry.


Anyone who wants to visit an unmarried partner in Norway must submit a form on entry that requires the name and address of both partners, address during quarantine upon entry and a declaration that the relationship has lasted at least nine months.


The Dutch government has an extensive list of requirements for unmarried couples, namely that the noncitizen partner is restricted to a maximum visit of 90 days.

The couple must have been in a relationship for at least three months, and sign a statement declaring so. The foreign partner also must present proof of a return ticket.

Czech Republic

Couples wanting to reunite must submit a solemn declaration of their relationship and supporting documents, such as a joint lease, a joint bank account or a birth certificate for a child they had together.


Cohabiting partners of Icelandic citizens can submit a confirmation of exemption from the travel restrictions to the country’s directorate of immigration, along with supporting documents that prove cohabitation.

Source: Read Full Article