Spain holidays: FCO issues new travel warning to Britons as strict rules rolled out

Spain is the fourth-worst hit country for cases of coronavirus. The Mediterranean country has a total of 229,540 cases reported so far. However, this month Spain has been unrolling measures to ease the county out of lockdown.


  • Caravan sites and holiday parks open: When are sites likely to reopen?

Late Thursday night, the FCO issued the latest travel advice for Spain.

“From 15 May, all new international arrivals entering Spain, including Spanish nationals and residents, will be required to self-isolate in their residence or hotel for a period of 14 days,” explained the FCO.

“Movement will be limited to essential trips to supermarkets or pharmacies and those affected will be required to wear a facemask at all times in public.

“They should be contactable by authorities and should report any coronavirus symptoms to regional authorities.

“Cross-border workers, cabin crew, lorry drivers and healthcare workers are exempt from this measure.”

You are allowed to travel through Spain without quarantining – but only if you do not stop.

“The Spanish authorities have confirmed that travellers transiting through Spain are also exempt as long as they travel home directly and do not spend the night in any establishment in Spain,” said the Foreign Office.

“All passengers should carry their passports, proof of onward travel (i.e. ferry or Eurotunnel tickets) and country of residency.

“You may also find this letter useful should you be required to explain your reason for travel.”

It’s key to be clued up on who is allowed into the country and what documents are needed.

The FCO continued: “Following further border restrictions, only Spanish citizens, those who are legally resident in Spain, frontier workers or those who can prove they need to enter Spain for essential reasons will be allowed to enter the country.

“Only green residency certificates will be accepted as proof of residency in Spain and British travellers who are not resident and/or not in possession of this certificate should not attempt to enter the country.


  • Spain holiday hotspot keeps hated tourist tax

“Padron certificates, utility bills and property deeds will not be accepted by Spanish authorities as proof of residency.

“British travellers who are not resident in Spain or do not have a residency certificate with them should not travel to Gibraltar and then attempt to enter Spain via the land frontier.”

Travellers are allowed to drive in groups provided they are only transiting through Spain.

“Land borders remain open to leave Spain,” explained the FCO.

“Although driving restrictions are in force in Spain and inter-regional travel is not permitted, the Spanish Interior Ministry and Policia Local have confirmed that cars and minivans carrying families/groups of passengers is permitted, as long as the purpose of the journey is to return to your country of residence.”

There are currently no options for ferry travel between the UK and Spain.

However, airports across Spain do remain open, but airlines are operating heavily-reduced services.

Source: Read Full Article