Donald Trump has declared severe restrictions on travel between the USA and Europe for 30 days amid the coronavirus outbreak. With the exception of the UK and Ireland, citizens from some 26 European nations will be unable to travel to the USA under the harsh new ruling.
The shock ban has sparked criticism from former officials and commentators on Wednesday evening.
Ben Rhodes, one of Barack Obam’s top foreign policy advisors, said the US President’s handling of the crisis was a “dystopian nightmare”.
He added: “Republican leaders knew better. They knew this man was not at all up to this job, and yet they’ve supported him, defended him, literally voted to keep him in office despite that knowledge.
“And now here we are in this dystopian nightmare, without a mature adult to run the country.”
The USA has 1,135 confirmed cases of the virus, with 38 deaths so far.
- Coronavirus in USA: Is it safe to travel to USA?
Which countries are banned from travelling to USA?
The 26 Schengen countries are: Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, and Switzerland.
The UK is not banned from travelling to the US.
Nor are any other European countries which are not part of Schengen.
You will need to get a visa or an Electronic System for Travel Authorisation (ESTA) visa waiver to enter or transit the USA as a visitor.
You will generally qualify if you hold a valid ‘British Citizen’ passport with this internationally recognised symbol on the front cover, and you:
- haven’t been arrested for certain crimes, even if a criminal conviction didn’t result
- aren’t a dual national of Iran, Iraq, Sudan or Syria
- haven’t travelled to Libya, Iran, Iraq, North Korea (DPRK), Somalia, Sudan, Syria or Yemen since March 2011
- can show that you have enough funds available on arrival to support yourself during your stay, even if you’re staying with family and friends
Source: Read Full Article